I recently talked with Stacey and Matty of The Chief Life Podcast about the beginnings of CrossFit in Santa Cruz, New Zealand and Australia (which is where they live). Then we dove into a bunch of other stuff:
- How I interview coaches, plus my hiring process.
- How the coaching development program at NCFit evolved to lead 60 coaches in the Bay Area. We briefly discuss a few things we incorporated into the program, such as weekly meetings with coaches, knowledge packages with articles and learning material, a coaching summit, and so on.
- How you might cater the material of your coaching development program to the two different types of coaches at your gym: lifers and part-timers.
- Why I think session plans are such a great tool for coaches.
- My opinion on the importance of competitions and competitors in CrossFit, and how they can impact a community for better or worse.
- The parallels between effective coaching and effective parenting. And how we all need to do a better job of owning our part in the situation when something goes wrong.
Please give the podcast a listen and then let me know what you think!